Saturday, June 20, 2009

Ivy's Birth Story

Well, I'm going to attempt to write out Ivy's birth story. I am not sure if it will all make sense or not but I'm hoping. I hope I get all the main points lol.

Monday, I tried once again a dose of Castor Oil. I really did not want to be induced with this baby so I thought I'd give it one last try. I didn't really have many contractions, had more Friday night. So, I went to bed with no contractions. I woke up at 2:15AM to go potty. I then made the trip back to bed and layed down got back up cuz I thought I had to pee again. Well, come to find out my water broke!!! So, I woke Tim up and he sits right up in bed and said "ok, I'm calling the doctor" I thought he was jumping the gun a bit but the doctor called back within 2 minutes. Dr said to go to the hossy cuz I could be dilating without knowing it. Because I was shockd that he wanted me to go in without having contractions.

So, we get all the stuff ready to go and get the boys up and took the boys to my friend Nicole's house. Off the hospital we went!

We get to the hospital at 4:05 AM. Got up to labor and delivery and got checked at 4:25AM. I was 2-3 cm. So, they let me be for awhile to let the contractions start picking up. So, I tried to get some rest before things started but that was impossible. I could not get comfy. So, I decided to get in the tub. O that was sooooo nice!!!!!! But after a 1/2 hour they had me get out so they could check on the baby. I got checked a lil before 9am and I was only 3-4 cm 80% effaced. So, my dr decided to start pitocin to get the ball rolling.

So, now I was stuck in bed for the duration of the of the labor and delivery because they have to constantly monitor the baby. I believe around 1pm or so the contractions started to get a lil rougher. So, after a lil bit longer I asked for the epidural. Well, the Anesthesialogist was in a C-section so I had to wait. So, the nurse (Nancy) talked me into Nubain. Well, that did not take the pain away, it just calmed my nerves a lil bit. Finally the anesthesialogist came. This is when it all went down hill for me (meaning not at all like I thought nor liked).

I was so nervous about getting the epi without Tim with me. He was in the room with me the other two times. So, I was starting to get worked up but anyway, I had to pee so bad and the nurse would not let me go. She said that I would be able to go after I got the epi. The anesthesialogist was not the nicest either. "Either get in position now or you are waiving your rights to an epidural" UGH You want to know how hard it is to get into the correct position during contractions and an extremely full bladder and bawling your eyes out. Yea not the easiest thing. But finally I was able to and got the epi in. And then of course the nurse would not let me go to the bathroom and tried making me go on a bed pan. Yea not the easiest thing in the world. However it was not relieving any of the pain. For some reason it just did not take and I was still in a bunch of pain. My nurse was absolutely horrid. She checked me because I was in so much pain and she said I was still only 4 cm. But then not even 2 min. later the midwife came in and she saw how I was so she checked me again and said I was 6 cm and 100% effaced. Well, the contractions just were horrible, and I felt like I needed to start pushing. Meanwhile, my nurse is horrrible still. She's not listening to me. I kept telling Tim and Kate (my friend Kate was in the room with me because she was going to be taking pictures for us. Well, once again back to the horrible nurse she wouldn't let Kate take any pictures and I had already gotten the clear by the doctor and stuff earlier.) that things weren't right. I just needed like 2 minutes to re-group and gain composure but I didn't get a chance.

I was told to get into a couple different positions and nothing was working. My heartrate was as high as the baby's heartrate so they put on of those heartrate monitors on her head. Found out a couple days later that her heartrate kept decelating. And apparently they were starting to get ready to do a C-Section because I was having a hard time getting her to come down and stuff. I don't know what they would have given me as the epi still wasn't working :(

Anyway, they pulled out the mirror to let me see her head because I was getting beat. Everything was happening so fast and I was still bawling and I kept telling Tim and Kate that things weren't right. I was really upset. It all stemmed back to my darn nurse. At one point I was praying and she told me to stop and I just still can't get over that one! And it was a Catholic hospital! So, back to the mirror, I got to see her head and it was the coolest/weirdest thing ever! Finally she was born at 4pm on the dot! She wasn't breathing at first. She had the cord wrapped tightly around her lil neck. I was really scared because Tim wasn't saying anything and was just staring at her with his mouth gaping open. But finally she took a breath. And he told me she was ok.

They took her to the warmer thing and started wiping her off. Her apgar scores were 7 and 9. Tim said he checked 4 times that she was a girl! Kate said she got a picture she's a girl! lol. When I finally got to hold her she had a diaper on and I took the diaper off I had to see for myself that she was a girl! Ivy Dawn Bonnes was 7# 7oz and 21 inches long. Her head and chest were 13inches.

All in all, I am just so grateful for such a healthy lil girl!!! I am very thankful for not being induced! I am also very thankful that I didn't need the C-Section. (2nd time I was threatened with one lol) The deliveries go Eric being the roughest since it was so long and I pushed for so long, then to Ivy's being the next hardest mainly cuz of my dang Nurse, then to Alex being the best. I highly recommend the mirror if you get an option to use it! It was such a moving experience to see. But as soon as the baby is born have them move the mirror cuz the after part isn't the best to see!

Two hours after Ivy was born Tim was looking that the iv machine and noticed that the epi pump was still on. Lovely, the nurse said 'o, I thought I turned that off". O she was such a winner, I think it's time for her to move on past the delivery rooms. I still can't get over how she was.

I am doing well tho, no stitches or tearing or anything. Back pain and Tail bone pain but doing pretty well. Absolutely in love with my lil gir!!!!!!!!





2 comments:

  1. I had a terrible night nurse during my labor. At least my day nurse was much better. Congrats on you baby girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome IVY DAWN! oooo what a pretty name Deanna!! .. I had a nightmare of an anesthesialogist with Lilly and a horrible nurse that I had kicked out lol w/ her also!
    Things were a lot better this time! They even cleaned him off right on my chest and I wasjust balling! Im sooo happy she is here! .... can't wait to seeee pics oh man I really have to update my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete